Tuesday, November 24, 2009

You're a Girl!

To My Baby-Girl Bird,

First of all, you were so worth the wait. The tests and tears and pokes and prods can never compare to the joy of seeing your eyes and heart and bones, the container that holds your personality and attitude and smiles and frowns, all the beauty of you. So many people are excited about your arrival, and without your awareness, you are being asked about and texted about and talked about by family, friends, students, and everyone else to whom I announce your arrival (including the waitress at Olive Garden last night J).

In honor of finding out more about you and spending almost every moment thinking about you, I want to share with you some of the hopes I have for you.

I hope you giggle at silly, random things.

I hope you cry with those who cry.

I hope you laugh often at yourself.

I hope you pick flowers and make dandelion necklaces.

I hope you eat blueberries and strawberries from a field.

I hope you let go of petty grudges.

I hope you race to the ocean tide—and finally catch it.

I hope you never know the meanness that popularity can bring.

I hope you choose honesty rather than ease.

I hope you love ice cream the first time you taste it.

I hope you know God’s love early and never doubt it.

I hope you play tea-party with daddy on a regular basis.

I hope you are angered at injustice and fight for the weak.

I hope you know far more joy than sorrow.

I hope you run to mommy when you’re knee is skinned or your heart is broken.

I hope you trust the incredible support-system all around you.

I hope you meet a man as good as your daddy (but not until you are 35 J).

I hope you love life and live deliberately.


I not only hope this for you. I have a feeling that though you (and your parents) will make mistakes, the heart of your life will be all this—and much more.

I love you,

Mom

3 comments:

  1. We have the same hopes for your Baby (Girl) Bird! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely letter for her to read someday! these are beautiful thoughts, Kristen. very excited about your most recent discovery. :)
    Sarah S

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful love letter from mommy!

    ReplyDelete