Friday, July 31, 2009

An Entire Flock

Yesterday the doctor decreased my dosage because my levels were a bit high, and this morning I went in for another ultrasound and more blood work.  While we were there, the doctor told us that I have 15 follicles on each side.  Basically, Tim and I could potentially have a flock of Bird babies in our nest. (I know that's cheesy, but if you can't be cheesy with baby stuff, when can you be?)  Most likely, some of these follicles won't grow enough to make the cut, but it looks as if we might meet our 20-egg goal.  We'll know more in the next few days.  

If you're a science-minded person and are interested in seeing what the follicles look like (not my person follicles, though if I had a picture, I'm sure I'd post it :)) on ultrasound, here's a link: http://www.victoriafertility.com/uploads/image003.jpg  The follicles are the black, bubble-looking circles.  The goal is for these to grow between 16-18mm before breaking them open and extracting the eggs.  (Sometimes I feel like I'm a chicken when I talk about these things.)

So far I don't feel very effected by the hormones except that I am more tired than normal.  But who can complain about excuses to nap without guilt?  

On a separate note, I went to an acupuncturist yesterday because it's supposed to help with relaxation and fertility (some people claim it helps with the blood flow to the uterus, etc...).  It did seem a bit strange laying in the dark with needles stuck all over my body (though it didn't hurt) for 20 minutes, but by the time I finished, I felt ready for another nap--so relaxed and peaceful.  I recommend the experience.

I'm waiting now to hear from my doctor again.  He will decide if I should change my dosage and when my next appointment will be.  I'm so glad we are finally running full ahead with the procedures.  I'm ready for this Baby Bird.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about all this. haha. I'm a nerd. Even if I don't reply, I'm right here with you, hanging on every word. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, sis-in-law! I'm hoping I can provide lots of inside information for you before you embark on the baby journey. So glad to have your support through all this!

    ReplyDelete