Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Random Thoughts From My Chair

Today I began teaching my regular class load (we've had a short elective term for the past couple of weeks) from my lovely IKEA chair: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/07472/

I confess that the view from here is rather sparse as I attempt to command the attention of my students, literally from below their level. My first class went so-so with the students often distracted by their laptops and often neglecting to pay attention to the bulging woman sitting low to the ground, feet-up in front of them. But this is my new life and my new view for a season, and if this perspective keeps Macie inside and growing strong, then I gladly accept the challenge.

After class, I went directly to the Nurse's office where I now sit amongst other invalids--all students (thankfully, none of whom have my condition). I arrived and told the nurse "I'm here to begin my daily regimen of sitting." Now, I sit here typing during chapel-time, waiting for the moments to pass until my next chance to get up and wander to my room or to the cafeteria or anywhere really.

One last confession: I feel a bit guilty for such intentional relaxation, because I've been feeling much better the past two or three days. My doctor thinks that the possible pre-term issues may have been caused by intestinal issues rather than contractions, although she still offered advice about how to avoid contractions yesterday at my visit. My immediate reaction is to resume my normal activity, to live my active life as I see fit, but as Tim reminds me, "You probably feel better because you've been resting." I hope he's right and that I'm not wasting my time. But I suppose it doesn't hurt to be careful. And my chair is rather comfy after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment