Monday, October 26, 2009

A Day Away

Tim and I left Sunday to visit old college friends and to stay in good ol' Santo, Texas, a town that makes me feel as if I've "gotten away from it all." At the end of the street where we are staying is a Santo Market, a mercantile that sells a pound of sugar for $5 a pop, and across the street is First Baptist Santo, where I'm sure a good percentage of the town attends church each week. Here, I am reminded to slow down, to stop in the doorway and enjoy the cool, fall breeze, and to appreciate the life-long friends who invite us to stay with them. We've been here several times pre-baby, and the feel of the place is always the same. Only this time, baby Bird came along for the ride (and it feels like a looooooong ride now), and as I watch my friend's eleven month old toddle around, I think of what the day will be like when our baby is doing the same. It seems so far away, but the consistency of Santo mocks the fast pace of our lives. Eleven months old will be here before I know it.

3 comments:

  1. Creative & thoughtful post. Glad to see your new age (old) and baby brain hasn't bested you yet :) Miss ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even remember my students names sometimes, so I'm not sure whether or not my brain is still functioning correctly or not. I hope I can still remember my baby-daddy's name. Tom, right??? :)

    KBird

    ReplyDelete