Thursday, October 8, 2009

Acrobatics

This morning I woke up at 5am, fairly startled out of bed by radiating pain throughout my torso.  My chest and back were on fire with what I'm assuming was the worst indigestion known to mankind while my upper stomach ached and rumbled.  A couple hours later--after losing some of last night's dinner, taking eight Tums (I almost lost count), and resting on the couch--I felt a bit better, though not well enough to drive to my doctor's appointment this morning.

That's where mom steps in to save the day.  After working a 12-hour shift, she turned around from heading toward home, came and picked me up, and took me to the doctor.  I had decided to just skip it in order to stay on the couch with my knees pulled up around my abdomen--why does that always seem to help with tummy issues?

However, after arriving at the doctor's office and speaking with the doctor, who said this could either be a stomach bug or just pregnancy-related (joy!), mom and I were both a bit relieved.  We felt even better when they inserted the probe to check on baby and found it facing us and moving around to get away from the pressure of the probe.  It's acrobatics did more for me than those 8 Tums ever could have.  I knew in my head that babies move around in the womb, but I admit that I didn't really believe that it happened this early until I saw it's arm and leg buds kicking and punching.  Although this statement might seem somewhat narcissistic, I was also amazed to see that it does all of this moving and heart-beating and squirming without me controlling anything at all.  This little life is sustained without me watching it every moment.  It's heartbeat still beats whether or not I'm taking notice of it.  For me, this picture acted as a good reminder that letting go, not attempting to control everything, can offer great blessings in the end.

EatonWeb Blog Directory

4 comments:

  1. Let go and let God...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that baby is wiggling already. I had TERRIBLE heartburn with Ariana, but not until the last trimester. Tums didn't work. They say heartburn means the baby will have lots of hair...it was true for us!! Anyway, I hope that you are feeling better soon...love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much better now! We went to San Antonio this weekend, and I sipped on my flask of Mylanta occasionally, but this afternoon I'm feeling pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of the that horrible day last year I got so stomach-sick and you took care of me b/c I had to stay in Houston for my rotation. Glad your mom took care of you and that the baby brightened your day!

    ReplyDelete