Friday, February 5, 2010

I Might Be An Elephant

I recently came across a fact about our fine, extra-large gray friends: "The gestation period for an elephant is the longest of all mammals and lasts about 22 months (630-660 days), with only one calf being born." (Wiki Answers)

I've also been thinking about my fertility history and noticing a few remarkable similarities:
  • Twenty-two months ago, I had already spent a year and a half trying to become impregnated, so we decided to get serious. Lots of sex wasn't cutting it.
  • Twenty-two months ago, I was just having my own hormones tampered and played with in order to achieve the perfect balance in order to ovulate. Thanks, Clomid!
  • Twenty-two months ago, my body started becoming very confused as I pumped in pills, all as a lead-up to the happy shots that I would soon start using daily. All the fun surgeries were a bonus. :)
Twenty-two months. This has been a long journey, though much shorter than many other fertility-challenged friends I know. Totaled, our baby-making experience will equal three-and-a-half years by the time we see our Macie's face. But, truthfully, I wouldn't ever trade places with my non-elephant friends. She's worth the wait even though this pregnancy feels so very long. I think I may hop down to the zoo to commiserate with my four-legged, trunked friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment